Saturday, December 19, 2009

Harassing the Checklist

In two weeks time I'll be jumping on a train bound for Los Angeles, to record my bands professional Demo.  My name is Steve Weatherbie and I'm the Drummer.  Most people in music know me as my stage name, Johnny Cross.  I'm headed to LA to meet with the singer, my friend and brother from another mother, Lukas D.  We have at least 30 songs in our catalog at this point but are recording six of them at Morning View Studios in Malibu, CA.  The same studio Incubus recorded their album by that title.  Many other mainstream artists have used the studio as well.

So I figured I would start a blog and not publish it until later.  Basically acting as a diary kind of thing to catalog my memoirs.  Because I get the feeling this is an interesting journey I'm about to go through.

My ticket to LA is in the mail right now.  I'm sweating bullets waiting for it.  It's getting close to xmas, as well as departure time so I would like this thing in my hands asap.  In two days I will be borrowing a friends drum kit to rehearse on for these sessions.  I'm rusty as hell and sold my kit a long time ago. Next week will be a cram session more than a jam sessions I think.  I have only 4 possible days to rehearse before the holiday shit begins.  Who knows how much time I can squeeze in the following week.

I don't own a car or drive, so I will most likely be walking several miles in the snow every day to be able to practice.  I need to buy some new shoes/boots.  I don't think my $10 tennis shoes from Walmart will last.  Or more importantly I don't think my feet will.

I've been producing a ton of hip hop beats for underground alternative rappers, just so I can make this trip comfortably.  There's a lot on my plate with that.  I quoted my price too low and a lot of business came in.   I sometimes worry if I have enough juice in me to make all these beats.  Let alone enough time to get them done.  But the money is in the bank and I have to do it.  Somehow some way.

We'll be renting some great drums in LA so at least I don't have to worry about that.  I'm excited to hear what a Yamaha Maple Custom kit is going to sound like under those huge mansion ceilings.  I've heard a lot about the sound of that room.

No comments:

Post a Comment