Ok what a weird couple of days. Let's start with the bassist issue, Demerol's badd player has been Eddy Gravel for about a year and a half now. The first show we all played together was actually 4 years ago already. The three of us have been living in different cities acrossed the continent, while trying to keep in touch and continue to write songs. Last year around this time Luke expressed that it is too hard to stay a band that way and asked our permission to move on and shop our demo's without us for the sake of momentum. It took a year for him to finally do that and Luke planned to record the demo with hired musicians,
Everything began to get strange. I was given the first invite to play drums out of respect but I declined. I though it was going to be impossible to rehearse enough and get out there to LA. Later I agreed to try to fly out to co-produce the album. We had not heard from Eddy in a while and planned on recording new songs he hadnt heard yet so we didn't bother letting him know at first.
In preparation for recording he was offered his current deal at Morning View with Waymon Boone of Splendor and co-producer/engineer Danny Cocke. This changed my mind about a lot of things including where I thought Luke's head was at, as well as my role in the band. There was NO way I could sit back and be a statue while some other drummer played my songs. So with the help of some good people in Michigan, I started rehearsing with only 2 weeks prep time.
On New Years day Luke sent me an emergency email explaining that his hired bass player had a death in the family and was no longer staying in the city let alone performing on the album. We bombarded eddy with a ton of information and had him book an immediate flight out to LA.
I'm currently writing this on the Amtrak somewhere between new mexico and arizona. I've been on it for almost 2 days already. Eddy and his brother Andy are on their way as well. The irony is, tomorrow we all arrive at LAX on Eddy's birthday. strange.
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment